KEY LARGO HISTORY
THE HISTORY OF OCEAN POINTE
With the coming of the railroad in the early 1900s, the pineapple blight and the hurricanes of 1906, 1909 and 1910, all the residents in what is now known as the Key Largo area slowly moved away. The Florida Key Largo Land Boom of the 1920s began and area land was sold to would-be developers, but the hurricane of 1926 and 1928 doomed developer's plans in Key Largo.
A few weekenders built houses in Key Largo on the northern portion of land named Palma Sola during the Land Boom period. The hurricane of 1960 (Donna), almost totally destroyed the area for a second time.
Around 1985 a Key Largo development originally named "Planters Pointe" was approved by the county at a mid-night session for the 60 plus acre tract. After the motion was passed, the Key Largo development of a new 240 unit condominium resort hotel started with the groundbreaking. The first building to be constructed is now known as Building V in mid 1990, followed by what is now known as Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo.